You can support Gilda’s Club South Florida by volunteering your time, talent, and energy. Volunteers are needed to assist in a variety of activities that ensure that Gilda’s Club South Florida will always be there for those in need. If you would like to become a part of our Volunteer Program, please review our current Volunteer Opportunities to see what might be a good fit for you. Simply complete and return the Volunteer Application. Once received, you will be invited to participate in a Volunteer Orientation. We currently accept volunteers ages 18 and older. For more information on our Volunteer Program, call 954-763-6776.
Events are held regularly at the Clubhouse to provide both social and supportive activities to members. Clubhouse Event Volunteers assist with setting up, registration and seating, directing cars, and cleaning up. Specific Clubhouse Events include:
- Lectures & Seminars - Includes Ask The Expert lectures and Frankly Speaking About Cancer, which are held throughout the year. These lectures and seminars feature guest speakers who come to the Clubhouse to share their expertise on specific topics.
- Workshops – Many of our workshops are lead by volunteer facilitators who donate their time and talent for special workshops including as photography, art, and yoga. These workshops are held weekly, monthly, or quarterly pending the availability of the volunteer facilitator.
- Annual Day of Wellness –This full day event highlights an assortment of exciting workshops and is held at the Clubhouse each February.
- Annual Day of Research & Hope –This educational conference is held each March and features a keynote speaker and a panel of top physicians who share their expertise on specific cancer related topics.
- Social Activities – Social activities such as pot luck suppers and holiday parties are held throughout the year.
Volunteer support is essential in helping to keep the Clubhouse running smoothly. Any amount of time volunteered is helpful. Clubhouse Support Volunteers are needed during business hours to assist with the following:
- Office Volunteer – Needed 1x a week to assist with filing.
- Receptionist – Needed on occasion during business hours; sometimes for an extended period of time.
- Librarian – Needed 1x a week to help maintain the Clubhouse library.
- Mailings – Volunteers are needed on occasion to assist with mailings, including stuffing and sealing envelopes and adhering mailing address labels and stamps.
Gilda’s Club South Florida relies on the success of its fundraising events to provide funds needed to support our program. Fundraising Volunteers are needed to help at fundraising events with duties such as selling raffle tickets, assisting with the auction, working registration and/or check out, and assisting with set up and clean up.
Volunteers are sometimes needed to act as ambassadors of Gilda’s Club South Florida. Outreach Volunteers are needed on occasion to accompany staff members to health fairs, conferences, or educational seminars held throughout the community to represent Gilda’s Club/man a booth. Volunteers are also occasionally needed to drop off informational materials on Gilda’s Club programs to hospitals and doctor’s offices as a resource.
Noogieland™ is both a concept and a place where children and teens touched by cancer can express their emotions through art and play. Although there is not an ongoing need for volunteers in Noogieland™, volunteers are needed to assist with special activities that are both fun and supportive. Please note that a background check is required as this position involves working with children and teens. Specific opportunities for Noogieland™ Volunteers include:
- Super Saturday – Held the 2nd Saturday of each month at the Clubhouse.
- Noogiefest – Our annual Halloween party held in October.
Join Our Auxiliary Group - Friends of Gilda’s
Gilda’s Club South Florida is fortunate to have the support of Friends of Gilda’s, an auxiliary group dedicated to raising awareness and funds for Gilda’s Club. This network of vibrant women are dedicated to expanding awareness and support for Gilda’s Club South Florida and host the Annual Red Door Luncheon each Spring.
Once your completed Volunteer Application is received and reviewed, you will be contacted with regard to scheduling a Volunteer Orientation, which must be completed by all prospective volunteers. Please note that volunteer placement is subject to the discretion of Gilda’s Club South Florida staff.
Member Disclaimer: Members are encouraged to focus on their individual journey. It is a requirement that members are post-treatment for at least one year prior to pursuing volunteer opportunities. Please note that volunteer placement is subject to the discretion of GIlda's Club South Florida staff and may require a doctor's note.