About the Event
Over the Edge for Gilda's is a premier event for Gilda's Club South Florida and exclusive to Fort Lauderdale.
Every person who raises a minimum of $1,000 will secure a place on the ropes to rappel down the AutoNation building downtown. And for those who exceed that goal, there are incentives to enhance the rappelling experience. Why did we choose $1,000? Because $1,000 will allow one person impacted by cancer access to all our services and programs for a year.
We are asking Over the Edge participants to possibly face a fear, complete a personal goal, and to live life to the fullest! We are asking you to support this by joining us as we go Over the Edge!
Event Quick Facts
Age Requirement: None! (Under 18 years old will need a parent/guardian to sign a waiver)
Weight Requirement: 100 - 300lbs.
# of Rappel Spots: 90
Minimum Fundraising Amount to Secure Spot: $1,000
Number of stories rappelling: 12
Saturday, October 5, 2019
200 SW 1st Avenue, Fort Lauderdale
Free parking will be available in the garage.
No experience necessary!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Gilda's Club South Florida's Over the Edge. At this moment all volunteer positions are secured and volunteer registration is closed.
You don't need to rappel to be a part of Over the Edge for Gilda's Club!
We need your help! Hosting an Over the Edge event requires a lot of volunteer support. Choose from one of the two volunteer opportunities listed below.
Volunteers will receive lunch and a shirt!
Become an Over the Edge Ropes Volunteer!
As a rope volunteer you will assist with harnesses and other gear, loading participants onto ropes, maintaining effective communication, providing ground belay, and unclipping participants from the ropes at the end of their rappel.
No experience necessary! While previous experience with rope safety systems and a familiarity with the risks of working at height are a bonus, they are not required.
Become an Event Day Volunteer!
Gilda's Club is looking for 30 volunteers to help throughout event day. Volunteers will assist in the following areas:
- Registration Area - You are the gate keepers to the entire event and set the pace!
- Staging Area - This is where participants receive their rappel equipment and prepare to rappel.
- Runners - Escort participants from registration area to staging area and from staging area to roof.
- Landing Zone - Meet rappellers at ground exclusion zone to escort back to Staging to remove rappel gear.
- Roof Top - Communicate who is rappelling and who is on deck. Organize participants away from the edge and ensure there is an order to who is next in line.
- 30 min training call / virtual on-boarding, (details via email)
- October 5th: Volunteers needed from 7:30am-4pm
Logistics volunteer hours will be broken down into 2 shifts. Pick one shift or volunteer all day.